A beginners strength training course for professional people, who want to improve their movement, posture, strength, confidence and health.
10th FEBRUARY to 16th MARCH 2020: SIX-WEEK COURSE
If you’ve arrived at this page, I’d be right in saying you’re relatively new to the gym, or have been considering starting to lift weights; but aren’t quite sure where to start.
You want to start lifting barbells and dumbbells, but don’t want to appear like you’re not sure about what you’re doing, and you want to get the most out of the lifts, whilst doing so safely.
You might work in a relatively sedentary role, or have aches and pains due to poor posture and lack of movement.
You may also be frustrated at your perceived lack of time and low energy levels, with productivity and motivation stagnating.
Stress and general unhappiness related to the above issues may also be a factor.
You may have been inspired by reading about, or watching videos of other people lifting. And may even have tried to teach yourself how to perform some of these exercises, without really knowing if you’re doing it right.
Our INTRODUCTION TO STRENGTH TRAINING COURSE will teach you how to:
The course will be beneficial if:
– You are new to weight training and want to gain confidence by mastering the basic strength training exercises, OR:
– You have been training for a while, but aren’t fully confident to start lifting heavier on the big lifts;
– You are male or female, at any *age, size or strength level.
*Under 18s are allowed, but must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who is also booking on to the course.
To ensure optimal levels of individual coaching and attention, the course is limited to a maximum of nine participants.
What are the benefits of learning the key strength exercises?
– Learning these fundamental lifts will provide the platform for virtually every other important exercise that you will perform in the gym.
– The confidence to lift heavier weights with good technique.
– Improved movement quality and mobility through all major joints in the body.
– Run faster, jump higher and throw further in your sports.
– Stand out from the crowd with excellent technique, impress yourself and others; and elevate your confidence in handling big weights!
What will the course cover?
Lifting gradually heavier weights demands good levels of mobility and movement, therefore you will be individually assessed and given specific exercises to improve on any weaknesses. From this point, the focus will be on learning the main compound lifts (I’ve updated the course to include more than six lifts, and to spend more time on squat and deadlift variations, the two most beneficial movements).
The course will also cover regressions to exercises that many people commonly struggle with e.g. Pull-Ups. These exercises can be scaled down to accommodate all strength levels and abilities.
– Week 1: Squat & variations
– Week 2: Squat/Deadlift
– Week 3: Deadlift & variations
– Week 4: Overhead press/Bench press & other pressing exercises
– Week 5: Pull-ups/Inverted row/Bent-over row & variations
– Week 6: Review of all lifts, plus carries. A look at a sample training programme, incorporating the lifts covered on the course
Spending six hours covering the main movements will ensure an in-depth technical focus on the key strength exercises. Specific regressions and progressions for each exercise will be given specific to individual participant skill levels. The emphasis will be on technique development with lighter weights and the aim is to give you the confidence to perform the lifts correctly and safely.
When and where is it held?
The start date for the course is Monday 10th FEBRUARY to Monday 16th MARCH 2020 at 7pm till 8pm, and will run for six consecutive weeks. The venue will be at Strong For Life, a brand-new bespoke strength training facility based on Sutton Field in Hull. This course is open to all – there is no need to have a gym membership.
Who will be coaching me?
Your coach will be Sam Young, who has worked as a strength coach since 2010. Here are some of his relevant experiences and achievements:
– British Weightlifting qualified Coach since 2012, with experience in lifting and coaching at regional and national level.
– Sam is experienced in coaching all ages and levels of experience, from teenagers and beginners, to coaching at National competitions, and all the way up to working with people in their 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s and beyond!
– Competed in weightlifting competitions across England from 2014, placing 4th at the 2016 English Weightlifting Championships in the men’s 85kg category.
– Received personal coaching from some of the top coaches and lifters in Britain and the world, including Russian 2008 Olympic silver medalist, Dmitry Klokov (See blog post here: https://strongforlife.co.uk/lessons-lifting-legend-dmitry-klokov/); and from two of the very top weightlifting coaches in Britain, international level coaches, Cyril Martin and Dave Sawyer.
– Spectator at two London 2012 Olympic Weightlifting sessions at the ExCel: Men’s 94kg B group and Men’s 105kg A group.
– BSc (Hons) Sports Science: Loughborough University 2006
– Qualified Personal Trainer since 2010
– Level 4 Sports Massage Therapy 2013
– British Weightlifting Level 1 Coach since 2012, Level 2 (currently the highest level qualification in the country) since 2014
How much will it cost?
Here’s a summary of everything you will get when you book on to this course:
– All of the above for a one off payment of just £105.00
BOOK HERE NOW TO AVOID DISAPPOINTMENT, as spaces are limited to maximum 9 people:
If you have any questions, please get in touch via the contact details below!