LIFTING TECHNIQUE COACHING: FEBRUARY to MARCH 2019, SIX-WEEK COURSE
Who is this course for?
The course will be beneficial if:
– You are new to weight training and want to gain confidence by mastering the basic lifts, OR:
– You have been training for a while but are struggling to find a training focus and progress your training further.
– You are male or female, at any age, size or strength level.
To ensure optimal levels of individual coaching and attention, the course is limited to a maximum of six participants.
What are the benefits of learning the big lifts?
When combined with a good quality nutrition and recovery:
– No other exercises build more strength and muscle.
– No other exercises will improve your physique and reduce body fat percentage as effectively.
– No other exercises enable you to lift as much weight using your whole body in the way it was designed to (Become a useful person in the real world whenever heavy objects need moving!).
– Learning these fundamental lifts will provide the platform for every other important exercise that you will perform in the gym.
– The confidence to lift heavy weights with good technique.
– Improved movement quality and mobility through all major joints in the body.
– Run faster, jump higher and throw further in your sports.
– Stand out from the crowd with excellent technique, impress yourself and others; and elevate your confidence in handling big weights!
What will the course cover?
Lifting big demands good levels of mobility and movement, therefore you will be individually assessed and given specific exercises to improve on any weaknesses. From this point, the focus will be on learning the big lifts (I’ve updated the course to include more than six lifts, and to spend more time on squats and deadlifts, the two most beneficial lifts):
– Week 1: Squat & variations
– Week 2: Squat/Deadlift
– Week 3: Deadlift & variations
– Week 4: Military press/Bench press & other pressing exercises
– Week 5: Pull-ups/Inverted row/Bent-over row & variations
– Week 6: Review of all lifts
Spending six hours covering the main movements will ensure an in-depth technical focus on the big lifts. Specific regressions and progressions for each exercise will be given specific to individual participant skill levels. The emphasis will be on technique development with lighter weights and the aim is to give you the confidence to perform the lifts correctly and safely.
When and where is it held?
The start date for the course is Sunday 10th February 2019 at 4pm, and will run for six consecutive weeks. The venue will be at David Lloyd Hull. This course is exclusively for members, however, please still get in touch to register your interest, if you are not a member; as I will look to put on a course outside of David Lloyd very soon.
Who will be coaching me?
Your coach will be Sam Young, who has worked as a strength coach at David Lloyd Hull since 2010. Here are some of his relevant experiences and achievements:
– British Weight Lifting qualified Coach since 2012, with experience in lifting and coaching at regional and national level.
– Sam is experienced in coaching all ages and levels of experience, from teenagers and beginners, to assistant coaching at National competitions, and all the way up to working with people in their 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s and beyond!
– Competed in weightlifting competitions across England from 2014, placing 4th at the 2016 English Weightlifting Championships in the men’s 85kg category.
– Received personal coaching from some of the top coaches and lifters in Britain and the world, including Russian 2008 Olympic silver medalist, Dmitry Klokov (See blog post here: https://strongforlife.co.uk/lessons-lifting-legend-dmitry-klokov/); and from two of the very top weightlifting coaches in Britain, international level coaches, Cyril Martin and Dave Sawyer.
– Spectator at two London 2012 Olympic Weightlifting sessions at the ExCel: Men’s 94kg B group and Men’s 105kg A group.
– BSc (Hons) Sports Science: Loughborough University 2006
– REPs Level 3 Personal Trainer since 2010
– Level 4 Sports Massage Therapy 2013
– British Weightlifting Level 1 Coach since 2012, Level 2 since 2014
How much will it cost?
– £72 for the full six week course.
Any questions, please get in touch!